Thursday, February 16, 2017

My Reflections on Capitol Hill: A Person is a Person No Matter How Tall - Kadee


There are not words to describe how nervous I was to start work on Capitol Hill. I have done a many things that others might consider scary. I've served a mission, lived in China and have even been accepted into a graduate program in International Social Change & Policy at the University of Sheffield. Those experiences seemed to pale in comparison to the Mount Everest that was before me: Capitol Hill. I had made it clear to myself and others that “I couldn’t possibly work with legislators! I don’t know enough! I don’t have enough experience!” It was all apparently too intimidating. That was my story and I was sticking to it. 

Looking back, three weeks since then, I’m shocked at the mental growth I seem to have achieved. What I’d made into mountains now appear as molehills. Sending in green notes, lobbying bills and setting appointments with legislators are all part of the routine these days. I’ve learned that I don’t need to be perfect to try, and that people are people, no matter how “tall”.  Some of the biggest mountains we climb may be the ones inside our heads. 

You are more than capable of defending the family in any capacity that you choose. If you feel a call to do the work, rise to the occasion. I promise that the doubts will fall behind you as you blaze forward defending what you hold dear. At the end of the day, liberals, legislators and lobbyists are still just people. We’re all working hard to defend what we love, and we each need each other to get the job done.

- Kadee Taylor

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete