Tuesday, February 21, 2017

My Reflections on Utah’s Capitol Hill - Light on the Hill -McKayla



As a little girl, I remember traveling back and forth from my Grandmother’s house at night and noticing all the beautiful city lights. One of the buildings would always catch my eye. Its peculiar yellow light and dome shaped top, stood apart from the rest of the downtown city buildings. Never could I imagine that one day that I would be working there as an intern!
My first day at the Utah Capitol was awe inspiring. I got there early enough to have time to explore the building while it was still quiet, so that I could soak it in. I discovered the agenda board for the bills that were going to be discussed and wrote down the bills that I thought would be interesting to learn more about. Soon I met up with the team from Family Policy Resource and we dove right into the work, discussing current legislation on physician assisted suicide.
We spent the day meeting Senators and Representatives, and I could not help but be inspired by the purpose that each person came to the Capitol with. There were so many different individuals and groups all gathered to participate in the political process and share their resources with citizens, representatives, and as coalitions. This was encouraging, and continues to be encouraging to me as I meet like-minded people, as well as learn to understand people and ideas that I have never considered before.
If you like asking questions, discussing great ideas, and assisting in coming up with solutions, the Capitol is the place to be.  The Capitol light is beautiful and awe inspiring, but it is truly lit by those who bring their own light and purpose to it.

-McKayla Skinner

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete